Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The story of "us".

I feel like documenting the story of Bo and me, because i think it's a good one.




I met Bo my freshman year in high school. By this time he was a junior. My friend Miguel took me to his house one night to hang out. The instant I saw him, being the boy crazy girl that i was, i HAD to have him. He was cute, sweet, intelligent, and a little too polite. At this stage in my life i LOVED to chase boys. My mentality was that of, in the words of my two year old daughter, "boys are sooooo cute". This boy in particular, i could not shake. I enjoyed the chase more than anything and I'll be the first to admit i was a "heart breaker". I'd chase them long enough to make them like me and I'd get bored and move on. Leaving them there to wonder what the hell just happened. Bo was different though. The more I "chased" him, the more he didn't seem interested. This annoyed me very much. Along comes "boyfriend #1", the boy i ended up dating my entire high school career and a little after that. We were "together" for a little more than 5 years. Was it a healthy relationship? By all means No, it wasn't. But we won't go in to that. The point is, I come to find out later in life that Bo was interested in me too when we were merely a Freshman and a Junior in high school, but "boyfriend #1" asked Bo to back off because he was entirely too interested me; so what does Bo do? Being the nice guy he is, he takes one for the team and backs off. At the time, this was highly annoying. I understand now that everything in life is about timing and this was the universes way of being sure we could end up together later in life. Like I said, "boyfriend #1" and I dated for close to 5 years and it wasn't the healthiest of relationships. He walked all over me and I let him. I believe we broke up and got back together about 5 different times. Every time he broke up with me or "needed a break". It was back to Bo. The first time "boyfriend #1" and I broke up and I started spending time with Bo again we ALMOST made a go of it, we came very close. But Bo has this thing called a conscience, and it always works against him. He couldn't bring himself to be with me because he didn't want to hurt "boyfriend #1's" feelings. You see Bo and "boyfriend #1" were actually very good friends, for a very long time. During mine and "boyfriend #1's" relationship, not so much. "Boyfriend #1" knew how I felt about Bo and tended to be a little jealous when I would even speak of him. He was a taboo subject for the 5 years of our relationship. The long of the short is every time "boyfriend #1" and I broke up, Bo was there, weather it was to be a friend or something a little more, he was there for me, and it only warmed my heart to him that much more. Fast forward to 2004. I finally broke up with "boyfriend #1". This time Bo had a girlfriend, who needless to say really did NOT like me. (and that's putting it nicely) so he was off limits for a while. In comes Joe. (I'll call him by his real name since not too many people know it). Our "relationship" (if you could call it that) lasted about a year. It wasn't the healthiest of relationships either, but i can say that for a while he was my best friend and he taught me one of the more important things I've learned in all of my life. He taught me to NEVER take anything less than i deserve from anyone. Around the year mark of me and Joe. I caught wind that Bo and his crazy girlfriend had broken up. It was also around this year mark that i began to realize the lesson Joe was teaching me and apply it. Joe was never going to be more than what he was right then, and i deserved better than that. With that, i took my lesson and applied it and i moved on. Bo and I were both single at the same time (something that rarely happened) and we were both definitely still interested in each other (something I'm sure never went away). We started spending more and more time together, and the more time we spent together, the closer we grew. I was TERRIFIED to take things farther. I'd waited so long for the timing to be right, and the time was here. What if things didn't work out? I would rather him be in my life as a friend than not be in my life at all. About this time "boyfriend #1" was hanging around with Bo and his friends again, and that made things a little awkward. But as time went on the attraction between the two of us grew to a point that we couldn't ignore it anymore. I know peoples feelings would be hurt, and so did he, but at some point you have to focus on your own happiness and put everyone else's second. And here we are, almost 4 years later, still happily in love with a beautiful daughter. Life is as close to perfect as it can ever be. It's not always easy, and it's not always hard. But it IS; and that is what makes me happy. Waking up in the morning and knowing that all is right in the universe because we're finally where we're supposed to be... TOGETHER. Funny how timing really is EVERYTHING.


No comments:

Post a Comment