A Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School. A movie theater in Colorado. A Sikh temple in Wisconsin. Those are just a few tragedies that have occurred lately. They're the ones still fresh in our memories. The fact that this map even exists should be an indicator that we, as a society, are doing something wrong.
I don't know how to fix the problems of the world. I mean, I don't even know how to fix all of the problems in my own life, but we have to start somewhere. Every day since the Newtown tragedy I have shed tears for the children who lost their lives, and the families that are having to cope with such unthinkable tragedy, and around what is supposed to be "the most wonderful time of the year", none the less. Every day I try to avoid the news headlines, because undoubtedly I'll catch a glimpse of some new information that I didn't want to know and it will send my head spinning and get me worrying about my own child out in the world by herself, learning how to positively contribute to society, in the care of her teachers. I'll catch a glimpse of a news story about some horrible thing that has happened and I'll have to fight the urge all day to go get Kathryn and bring her home, where she is in my care, and I know she is safe and sound.
This is why I DON'T WATCH THE NEWS. I'll skim over the headlines of the days top stories and quickly decide there is no news worth reading because the top headlines are almost always focused on what is wrong with this country... what is wrong with this world. I can't live my life like that. I can't live my life in fear that every time I leave the house some one could kidnap me, shoot me, stab me, assault me, or any other number of horrible things a person can dream up in their mind.
I also believe I am not alone in the way I think. I can't believe I am the only one that uses avoidance as a coping mechanism. I can't believe I am the only person who uses optimism as a crutch. I KNOW what people in this world are capable of. I've been lucky enough to only be a witness to these horrible things, but I still know. I can't turn on the TV and catch up on current events with out being reminded of it. So I choose to ignore it and continue to wear my rose colored glasses.
Which brings me to my point... WHEN will we begin focusing on the positive things that people in this world have to offer. I know, I know... "blah blah, ratings, blah blah viewers, blah blah blah". Why can't this be a top headline? or this? These people are making the world a better place. These people are trying their best to counter act all of the horrible things we read about daily in the news and they get little to no recognition. I don't think they're doing it FOR recognition, I think they're doing it because they're good people. But I think they SHOULD get recognition. Instead of talking about the Adam Lanzas, the James Holmes, and the Eric Harris & Dylan Klebolds, we should be talking about the Brian Baileys, & Larry DePrimos. Better yet, we should BE the Brian Baileys and the Larry DePrimos.
I think as a society we've all convinced ourselves that other peoples problems are not our business and to step in and offer help when none has been asked of us is crossing a boundary and could offend some one. I think we've become complacent and would rather read about other people doing nice things for people rather than do them ourselves. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I'll be the first to re-post a plea for help on Facebook and convince myself that I've done a great service to those people. But what is stopping me from getting off the couch and going to help them myself? Ghandi said it, and I'm sure every one has heard it, but I don't know if we've ever actually paid attention and listened to the advice in the quote "Be the change you want to see in the world"
"BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD." It's pretty self explanatory, and probably the best advice I've ever heard. I know every one is capable of helping make the world a better place in varying degrees. I live on a VERY tight budget so going out and making a donation, or buying gifts for children who won't get any this Christmas probably isn't a realistic goal for me. But TIME is just as valuable as money. Who says I can't go volunteer at a homeless shelter, or at a Boys & Girls club, or ANYWHERE that needs volunteers.
This holiday season, for every one I assume, has a bit of a melancholy undertone to it. We're not viewing the world as a really awesome place at the moment, because it's not. The negative is overshadowing the positive and it's hard to see the silver lining. So, this New Year when it's time to make that annual resolution. I'm asking you to believe that we can all make a difference. I'm asking you to begin to ignore the negativity put out there by the media. Don't let it be what our lives are about. I'm asking you to remember that YOU can make a difference. Big or small, lets ALL try to be the change we want to see in the world. Because it won't get any better if we don't do something about it. And maybe if we start doing enough we'll make a positive impact on the world and it could become an over all better place. Maybe one day our kindness and generosity will become a top news headline. Wouldn't that be great?

No comments:
Post a Comment